Ston is a town and harbour in southern Dalmatia, on the extreme north-west of the Ston Channel and the isthmus of the same name connecting the Peljesac Peninsula with the mainland, 59 km northwest of Dubrovnik. Chief occupations include farming, viniculture, olive growing, synthetic material processing, fishing, oyster farming and tourism. The salt-works used to be and still are most important for Ston.
This historical small town, with its famous walls and numerous cultural and historical monuments, is one of the most beautiful examples of a fortified town and Dubrovnik architecture. The restaurants offer domestic specialities, especially oysters, as well as other seafood. Ston is also known for its saltworks, and the coast along the channel and in the Prapratna cove provides fine swimming, fishing and underwater fishing opportunities. The beautiful sand beach is ornamented with centuries-old olive trees, and one of the most excellent campsites of the region is situated in this scenery. Apart from water sports, there are many sports grounds designed for tourists recreation. Italy yacht Charters provides yachts and sailing boats, ketch and gullets in all Croatia sailing area, and the harbour of Ston is one of the favourite destination of our luxury crewed motorboat charters in all Croazia (Dalmatia) Riviera.
The most massive fortress of Stone, Veliki Kastio, rises on the south-western corner. The wall east of it was running along the coast which borders with the saltworks of Ston between the coast and the sea. The huge fortified complex was built by Dubrovnik between 1333 and 1506. Famous masters include: Zupan Bunic 1455, Bernardin from Parma 1461, Olivier the French 1472-1478 and Paskoje Mili-cevic 1488-1506. The school of Ston was mentioned already in 1389, the almshouse in 1485 (the building still stands there), and the orphanage in 1494. The most representative secular buildings within the walls are the Chancery of the Dubrovnik Republic, built in Gothic and Renaissance styles, Sorkocevic Palace and the former bishop's palace (1573); elements of late Renaissance and the arcade accommodating a collection of stone monuments.